From 7th to 10th July 2018
The schooner Tara will be in Portland (USA) from July 7th to 10th, spotlighting a major problem — plastic pollution at sea. The stopover will be organized with one of our main partners — Billerudkorsnäs — a leading producer of renewable packaging material. BillerudKorsnäs has been sponsoring the Tara Expeditions Foundation since the Tara Pacific expedition began in 2016.
This Portland port of call will be an opportunity to explain our work and raise awareness about the Ocean including coral reefs impacted by climate change (Tara Pacific expedition) and also the research on plastic pollution done by scientists working with Tara. Before arriving in Portland, the schooner Tara will cross the subtropical gyres where the biggest concentration of plastics exists. The stopover will give Tara scientists an opportunity to share their research perspectives about micro-plastics.
From July 8th to 9th, the public will be invited to come aboard and visit the boat, several events for children, a conference, and a talk with a scientist and Tara crew members will be organized in collaboration with Billerudkorsnäs, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), Oregon State University, Department of Microbiology (OSU) and the French Consulate in San Francisco.
Saturday July 7th :
Sunday July 8th:
Community Day – Open to the public
• 10: 30 am – 4 pm: Tour visits. Meet the Tara Pacific scientists and crew for 30 minute tours aboard Tara. To participate, please register here (please note that this website is secure and that the events “Tara in Portland” are managed by the Tara Expeditions Foundation).
Throughout the day (10 am – 4 pm)
• Hear first-hand from scientists about life aboard Tara and their careers in research at Oregon State University.
• Visit OMSI’s interactive water exhibit “Planktonic Plastics in the Oceans” to learn how garbage in the ocean like a plastic water bottle breaks down into microscopic fragments that are consumed by sea life.
• Discover how innovations using paper and sustainable materials are playing a significant role in reducing the amount of plastics in our oceans and landfills.
Monday July 9th:
Press Conference aboard Tara
9:30 -10 :30 a.m. Press Conference
Media is invited to a press conference featuring Tara Expeditions Foundation Executive Director Romain Troublé and Petra Einarsson, BillerudKorsnäs president & CEO. (Tour visit for media after the press conference)
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
Billerudkorsnäs Programming: Challenge 2018 – Solutions for a Sustainable Future
• 10 am – 6: 15 pm: To participate, request an invitation by June 29th by clicking here
• Packaging & Product Innovations for a Sustainable Future
• Partnerships for Increased Corporate Responsibility
• A Closer Look: Optimizations for Improved Sustainability & Savings in the Packaging Supply Chain
– Romain Troublé, Executive Eirector of Tara Expeditions Foundation
– Maria-Luiza Pedrotti, CNRS Researcher; Scientific Coordinator of Tara Mediterranean
– Nina Goodrich, Executive Director of GreenBlue; Director of the Sustainable Packaging Coalition
– Ted Wheeler, Mayor of Portland
– Petra Einarsson, President & CEO of Billerudkorsnäs
– Dr. John Izzo, Author of The Purpose Revolution
Talk with scientists Session – for the Public
• 7 pm to 9 pm: “Microplastic Pollution in the Ocean” at OMSI movie theater, The Empirical Theater.
This event is free and open to the public. Seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors will open at 6: 30 pm. Email email@example.com with questions.
Guest speakers :
Romain Troublé, Executive Director, Tara Expeditions Foundation
Maria-Luiza Pedrotti, CNRS Researcher and Scientific Coordinator of Tara Mediterranean