The Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (National Center for Scientific Research) is a public organization under the responsibility of the French Ministry of Education and Research. As the largest fundamental research organization in Europe, CNRS carried out research in all fields of knowledge, through ten institutes.
CNRS encourages collaboration between specialists from different disciplines in particular with the university thus opening up new fields of enquiry to meet social and economic needs. CNRS has developed interdisciplinary programs which bring together various CNRS departments as well as other research institutions and industry.
Interdisciplinary research is undertaken in the following domains:
• Life and its social implications
• Information, communication and knowledge
• Environment, energy and sustainable development
• Nanosciences, nanotechnologies, materials
• Astroparticles: from particles to the Universe